“I believe there is hope in every wish that you make.”
“I believe you should never let life take away your ability to sit back and dream.”
“I believe a story is being written on the pages of our hearts and we decide what that story will be.”
Hello, I am Karen, an artist who believes in being silly, honest, and kind. I create heart-felt art with purpose. My art on canvas, furniture, or boards is designed to be a catalyst for hope, to help people see a beautiful future, and inspire through written words, playful colors, and images my art holds.
57 Butterflies was designed to provided art that inspires hope and goods created to make life more beautiful . The name 57 Butterflies is from a life experience. During a hard season of my life, I lost two people I loved within six months of each other. It changed the way I looked at the world. It had become a bad, dark place. I felt hopeless, and lost the ability to dream and wish. It was like someone shut off a light in my heart. I became desperate to know life could be good and to see light in the world, so I prayed for a sign. I yelled out to God “Show me some thing! I will take anything at this point!” At that moment a little yellow butterfly flew in my face. Moments later, I saw so many that I stopped counting after 57. I know it was not much, but during that time it was enough to get me through. God was showing me his goodness. God used a butterfly to bring hope back to me. Everyone needs a butterfly moment now and then. A sweet, simple reminder. May you feel the hope in my art, and begin to dream of a more beautiful future.
I have spent my life working with teens and kids, helping them walk thru storms of life, while discovering how beautifully God made them. I was looking for a project to do with some girls in our church. I found a ”DIY” video for mix media on YouTube and fell in love with it. This new medium helped me express emotions I had bottled up inside me. It helped me heal and I began to embrace the words I was putting on canvas. I was pushing myself to be brave by choosing hope. Through my art, I am telling my heart things it wants to hear.
My Silly Random Facts
- I am animated in all things spoken. It would be easier for me to stop breathing than not be.
- I might have a small obsession with leather boots. They make me happy!
- I joke around a lot and like to be goofy. This gets me in trouble at times, but a life with out laughter is not for me.
- I grew up in the north, but have lived in the south for over 24 years. Still I have a northern accent but say words like “Ya’ll”.
- I love the mountains and I’m a nature person. Nothing clears my head better than a hike outside.
- When I was young I had a great fear of Big Foot. I can’t help but wonder if he’s watching me when I’m alone in the woods. I know that sounds crazy.
- I never go out of the house with out makeup. NEVER!
- My best friend is the other half of my heart. She has been my bestie since I was 13 years old.
- Oh, how I love doughnuts and strawberries. In that order specifically!
- I have a fluffy puppy named Ruffus! It took me 7 months to find him. I was very happy to finally bring our furry baby home.
- Last but not least, I want to change the world. I once announced this to a large group of people and they all laughed. I don’t know why, I believe it’s worth a try.